Improve English Pronunciation: Focus on Vowel Sounds
Now enrolling for Spring classes
Wednesdays, 5/20 – 6/24/20, 12-1pm PST / 3-4pm EST
Cost: $179 (until May 13, $209 after May 13)
In this class, you’ll learn:
- to recognize all 15+ American English vowel sounds (even though there are 5 written vowels, there are many more spoken ones)
- to hear & pronounce the difference between the vowel sounds in words like:
- it & eat
- foot & boot
- man, men & main
- common spellings of each vowel sound, so you can guess the pronunciation of unfamiliar words
- many common exception words that do not follow the rules
- read & use the International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA) to be able to know for certain the pronunciation of any word, even when spelling does not follow the rules
As a result:
- Your speech will be clearer and more easily understandable
- Your accent will be less pronounced
- You will avoid misunderstandings created by similar sounding words
- You will avoid the embarrassment related to saying something that sounds like a dirty word when you don’t intend to (beach & b$tch, sheet & sh$t, etc.)
What you need to know about the class:
- Live online group class over Zoom.
- Maximum of 6 people: plenty of opportunity for correction & feedback on your speech.
- Have to miss a class? No problem: each class is recorded, so you can watch at your leisure.
- Practice commitment: To get the most of this class and make lasting changes to your speech, it is suggested that you practice 30 minutes daily.
- You will be given a list of suggested practice materials. They are optional and may have an additional cost.